Squash News – March 2014
Some points from the recent Squash Committee Meeting:
(1) First a reminder on court shoes. Certain members have been observed walking to and from their cars in the same shoes that they play squash in. Please help keep our courts clean by changing into other footwear both before and after your game.
(2) The Club Vets and Vints Tournament produced the following winners. Well done and thanks to organiser Dom Thwaites.
O45’s Rob Parry
O55’s Rob Ballingall
O65’s John Taylor
(3) Look out for the entry list for the final tournament of the season – our main Club Championships to be held in May. Dom will put a notice up on the board shortly.
(4) Club Night on 1st April falls on a Tuesday this month. Do come along for a friendly game with fellow members – all 4 courts are booked from 6:30 till 9:30.
(5) The social committee is promoting our bar with various offers. This month is Guinness- and also the Band Night,
which is on Friday 28th March and is free. They are
planning on making it a Black Velvet theme (Guinness &
Prosecco) and will offer a complimentary taste for those
(6) Progress on refurbishing the kitchen, showers and heating has been held up by some legal issues over the grant. Once resolved, we hope to take the opportunity to resleave the drains which you may have noticed smell on occasions as they have developed cracks under the building.
(7) The Club Committee is setting up a Fund raising sub-committee which will be chaired by Geoff Williams, the tennis captain. Peter Dickinson will also attend but is kept very busy on his duties as facilities organiser. So we are still looking for an additional squash member to join at the beginning of their work. Do let me know if you could be interested.
(8) Finally some congratulations are in order. Our Men’s1st team have secured the Division 1 title for the 3rd time in 5 years. Well done to Dan Colquhoun and his team.
Secondly 3 members have made the Seniors England team again – Darren Withey, Sam Mueller and Aubrey Waddy – congratulations and good luck in the forthcoming home international matches.