Tennis Leaders Parts 1 & 2 at Chesham Bois Tennis Club
Tennis Leaders is aimed at 13 years plus and the content is suitable for older juniors just starting out on the tennis career pathway through to adult volunteers looking to support their local coach, referee or club official. The purpose of the course is to provide some basic training around communication and organisation within tennis.
This basic training enables people of all ages and skill sets to support the coach and committee with the day to day running of the tennis venue and tennis programme. Young leaders often see the course as the first step on the career ladder, gaining valuable skills that can be transferred into other industries. Adults who enjoy volunteering see it as a way of getting some informal training around organising competition or taking a role on the committee.
What does a tennis leader need to do?
Core Module (3 hours) Introduction to tennis
You must take this module before the other Tennis Leaders modules as it provides a basic understanding of the following key points:
- Know the basics of tennis; strokes, game formats and variations of the sport.
- Understand how these variations of the game are used to introduce tennis to people of all ages and abilities.
- Learn about effective communication and organisation skills.
- Put your skills into practice on court – in warm up activities and on court drills.
- There are four additional bolt-on modules (2 hours each). In order to become a Tennis Leader, you will need to complete the core module plus one other from the list below:
– Volunteering at your tennis venue
– Leading a practice session
– Helping at your school
– Helping at a competition
Throughout the modules, you will also gain a better understanding of other key areas such as use of the appropriate equipment, physical capabilities of players of varying ages and health and safety on and off court.
There are details of how to take the course here:
How can I help Chesham Bois coaching team?
We are always looking out for assistants to help with the coaching programme, be it helping the coaches with squads, organising the mini tennis ladder, helping with drop in sessions or jr night. We also help all our assistants by holding regular in house training to help with basic organising, technique, dealing with large numbers of children etc.
If you are interested please contact Head Coach Peter Lavery: